2012년 10월 22일 월요일

2012.10.19(금) 영어공부내용.

19일에 배운 영어 정리하다.


accommodate. - "Accommodate" (verb) means to have or provide enough space for a group of people or things. "Accommodate" can also mean to try to do what someone wants or to provide what someone needs. "Accommodate" is used with an object. Other forms include "accommodating" (adjective) and "accommodations" (noun).

The conference facility can accommodate 300 people.
The hotel accommodates the handicapped by providing ramps and elevators.

reservations. - "Reservation" (noun) are feelings of doubt or concern that you have when you don't completely agree with a plan, suggestion, or idea. "Reservations" is always plural, except in the expression "without reservation."

I had some reservations when I read the offer more closely.

The new candidate is more than qualified for the position. I would hire him without reservation.

 
put forward . - "Put forward" (phrasal verb) means to introduce a plan or an idea for discussion. "Put forward" is a separable phrasal verb and is used with an object. It can also be followed by "that + S + V."

We would like to put forward some additional points.
I'd like to put forward that we give the managers some feedback.


be out of the question - "Be out of the question" (verb phrase) means to be not possible or not allowed. If something is "out of the question" it is completely impossible and should not even be considered.

Frankly, Mike, maintaining Toy's brand name is out of the question.

It's out of the question to hire a new product manager right now.




1.
I don't agree with Jim's idea and actually have many reservations about it.
2.
We can't afford to buy new office furniture right now. It's out of the question.

3.
At our last meeting, Chet put forward the suggestion that each manager write a monthly progress report.
4.
I'm sorry, but our banquet room can't accommodate more than 30 people.

banquet 미국·영국 [|bӕŋkwɪt] play 영국식 play 단어장추가 중요
[명사] (공식) 연회[만찬]
a state banquet in honour of the visiting Presidentplay
방문 중인 대통령을 위한 국빈 만찬
Banquet 영국식 play 단어장추가
(호텔) 호텔에서 식음료를 판매하기 위한 제반시설이 완비된 구별된 장소에서 2인 이상의 단체고객에게 식음료와 기타 부수적인 것을 추가하여 행사의 본연의 목적을 달성할 수 있도록 하여 주고 그에 따른 대가를 수수하는 행위를 말한다.
banquet room 미국식 play 단어장추가
(호텔·식당의) 연회장
banquet lamp 미국식 play 단어장추가
연회용 램프 ((높고 정교한))
banquet hall 단어장추가
연회실


1.
I'm sorry, but a salary increase is out of the question. We just don't have the money to give you a raise right now.
2.
Before we end this meeting, we would like to put forward some additional points for discussion.

3.
The vice president of human resources wants her department to accommodate the needs of each employee.
4.
I have reservations about accepting the offer before we have time to discuss it.



gradual. - "Gradual" (adjective) means happening or changing slowly over a long period of time.

There was a gradual decline in the stock price over twelve months.

Head back - "Head back" (phrasal verb) means to start to return to a place. "Head back" is an inseparable phrasal verb and is not used with an object. It can be followed by "to" and the name of a place.

I'm heading back tonight, but please feel free to call me.
When do you plan to head back to the U.S. ?

feel free  - "Feel free" (expression) is used to invite people to do something. It is used to tell people that they are welcome to do something. "Feel free" is usually followed by an infinitive.

Please feel free to call me if I can answer any questions for you.
Feel free to use the company car to take your colleagues to lunch.

suffer - "Suffer" (verb) means to experience pain. It can also mean to experience the negative effects of a bad situation or circumstance. "Suffer" can be used with or without an object.

Our product line could suffer if we begin to use unknown name.
The company suffered a large loss last quarter.





1.
Last year during the truckers' strike, we suffered long delays in deliveries.
2.
I'm going to head back to my office now, and I'll fax you our price list as soon as I get there.

3.
Apex Enterprises lost a lot of money last year, but this year it's seeing a gradual recovery.
4.
I hope you'll feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

1.
I'm not sure that we should change our procedures so quickly. Don't you think that a gradual move toward automation would be better?
2.
We hope that our sales won't suffer as a result of the merger.

3.
Feel free to use the telephone or fax machine if you need to contact your colleagues. Everything is here for your use.
4.
Could we head back to the office soon? I've got a lot of work to do this afternoon.


1.
When you put forward an idea, you propose it in a meeting or a discussion.
2.
If something is impossible, it is out of the question.

3.
When a process is slow and not rushed, it can be described as gradual.
4.
When the stock market crashes, your investments could suffer.

5.
If you provide someone with what he or she needs, you accommodate those needs.
6.
If you want to tell a visiting colleague to feel completely welcome to use your office while in town, you might say, "feel free to use my office."

7.
Your boss offers you a new position, but you aren't sure if it will work out well. You have some reservations.
8.
When you've taken a long lunch break and you're ready to return to the office, you tell your colleague that you want to head back.


[once, whenever, as soon as, for as long as]
[every time (that), the first time (that), the next time (that) , the last time(that)]

For as long as I have known her she's been devoted to her work.
"For as long as" means during a certain period of time, from beginning to end. It is used to express that something was happening or was true for an entire, specified period of time.

As soon as the board reviews these changes, I'll get back to you.
I'll get back to you as soon as the board reviews these changes.

When one of these connectors comes at the beginning of a sentence, a comma is necessary between the clause it begins and the next clause.
When one of these connectors comes at the beginning of the second clause, no comma is necessary.

Once the bank approves our loan, we can buy the house.
I'll call you as soon as I hear any news about the merger.

"Once" and "as soon as" are used to express the idea that when one event happens, another event happens soon after.


The first time I went to England, I visited London.
I'll go shopping the next time I go to London.

Connectors showing time relationships also include the following phrases : "the first time(that)", "the second time(that)," "the next time(that)," and "the last time(that)." The word "that" is optional.






1.
once you finish that task, I can give you something else to do.
2.
as soon as I get my bonus, I'm going to go on vacation.

3.
whenever we give that company an order, we always get the work back on time.
4.
for as long as I have lived in this area, I've never had a problem finding a parking space.

5.
the first time I went to Thailand, I stayed for only two weeks. This time, though, I stayed for a month.
6.
whenever I stay at the Hotel Intercontinental, I always stay in the same suite.

7.
I'll arrange a conference call with you as soon as I get more information.

1.
I didn't get a chance to meet the overseas director the last time I was in Tokyo, but the next time I go, I will finally meet him.
2.
The head of personnel promised to call me back as soon as she makes a decision about my application.

3.
Whenever our boss calls a meeting, it always lasts longer than planned.
4.
For as long as I've known Maria, she's been punctual and responsible.

punctual 미국·영국 [|pʌŋktʃuəl] play 영국식 play 단어장추가 중요
[형용사] 시간을 지키는[엄수하는]
She has been reliable and punctual.play
그녀는 믿을 수 있고 시간도 엄수해 왔다.
punctual payment 단어장추가
기한대로의 지불
be punctual for class 단어장추가
수업 시간에 늦지 않다
(as) punctual as the clock 단어장추가
시간을 엄수하는
punctual payment 단어장추가
일자대로의 지불



5.
I was impressed with that restaurant the first time I went there. But the next time I ate there, the food wasn't as good.
6.
I always use the same stockbroker whenever I want to purchase stock.

7.
Once I start on a new project, I feel creative and energetic.



I'd like to propose ...
I'd like to put forward ...
I'd like to suggest ...

I'd like to propose a few changes before we proceed.
I'd like to put forward that we change our marketing strategy.
I'd like to suggest a way we can compromise.


compromise 미국식 [|kɑ:mprəmaɪz] play 영국식 [|kɒmprəmaɪz] play 단어장추가 중요
[명사] 타협[절충](내용)
After lengthy talks the two sides finally reached a compromise.play
오랜 회담 끝에 양측이 마침내 타협에 이르렀다.
reach[come to] a compromise 단어장추가
타협에 이르다
Connecticut Compromise 미국식 play 단어장추가
(미국사) [the ~] 코네티컷 타협안
compromise rail 단어장추가
[명사] (철도) 이형 중계(異形中繼) 레일: 단면이 다른 두 레일의 중간에 넣어서 접속하는 양끝의 단면이 다른 짧은 레일.
compromise joint 단어장추가
[명사] (철도) 이형(異形) 이음매: 단면이 서로 다른 레일을 잇는 이음매.

본문(32건)

타협 妥協 단어장추가
[명사] compromise [동사] compromisereach[arrive atcome tocome to]reach an agreement
대화와 타협을 통해 문제를 해결하다
solve a problem by communication and compromiseplay
절충 折衷 단어장추가
compromise (with sb / on sth)negotiate (with sb)
정치적 절충안을 모색하다
seek a political compromiseplay
굽히다 단어장추가



I have some reservations about ...
That's likely to present difficulties.
Frankly, that's out of the question.

These three expressions are used to oppose a proposal.

I have some reservations about that idea.

"I have some reservations about" is used to express disagreement, a hesitation to agree, or opposition. It is followed by a noun phrase.

That's likely to present difficulties for our client.

This expression is used to show opposition to an idea or proposal by saying that it is likely to cause problems. It stand alone as a sentence, or it is followed by a clause or a phrase that begins with words such as "with", "in", or "for".

Frankly, that's out of the question. We need more time.

This expression is used to strongly oppose a proposal. When you say something is "out of the question" you are saying that it is impossible to compromise. It stands alone as a sentence.



1.
Thomas: I'd like to suggest that we promote him to vice president after the merger.
Frances:
 Frankly, that's out of the question.
2.
I'd like to suggest that the management team remain with the company.

3.
I have some reservations about your offer. Our company is worth more than $47 million.
4.
I'd like to put forward a way to keep the negotiations friendly.

5.
It's too bad they had to change their brand name after the merger. That's likely to present difficulties with their target market.
6.
I have some reservations about the merger. What if we completely disappear after the merger?

7.
Selling isn't our only option. I'd like to put forward a few alternatives.

1.
Adam: It looks like we'll have to work on Sunday to finish the project.
Carol: Frankly, that's
 out of the question. I'm not available to work on Sundays.
2.
I'd like to put forward a more aggressive plan for dealing with the foreign competition.

3.
I'm not sure I agree with the proposed restructuring of the company. I have some reservations about laying off the entire training department.
4.
The new marketing plan is very good, but I'd like to propose a way to make the product more appealing to a wider market.

5.
I'd like to suggest a more flexible work schedule so we can accommodate our employees who spend many hours commuting.
6.
I wish you'd reconsider your decision to close the Paris office. That's likely to present difficulties for the new clients.




댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기